Friday, June 16, 2017

I will be posting any second now

Checking in here, I find a few kind comments and only the one post so far this year, from January. That's perfectly disgraceful! Call myself a blogger! Etc.

So I will be posting any second now.

Some keen observation around these parts makes me doubt the scientific validity of 'any second now.' You would think that 'any second' genuinely means any second, and that the word 'now' would skew the probability to favour sooner seconds rather than later seconds. But I have heard people say they will get up any second now, or tackle their homework any second now, and experience tells me that they are implicitly excluding the early range of available seconds, thus ruining the necessary randomness suggested by the word 'any.'

Sometimes I have not seen the actual getting up take place for hours, or the actual homework for days.

But I guess what happened is that I got caught up in all the 2017 hoo-ha about President David Brent taking office in the USA and got with the zeitgeist, becoming vegan and crusading against plastic and trying to uphold rights, and indeed I am still busy with all that, and hope you are too, but these are my elevenses.

And I will be posting any second now.

21 comments:

  1. What are you going to talk about now that cup-cakes are gone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where have they gone, Tom? No one tells me anything.

      Delete
  2. Any second now leaves me in a state of heightened awareness that I dislike, as in my mother saying in a raised, quick voice "Granny will be here any second now".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rachel, I hope you are tip-top! It's an honour to have yourself and two family members in the one comment.

      Delete
  3. Ahh, what pleasure to see your post, at least it will be, when it gets here!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see you, Sandra, and it's your world of colour that lures me back.

      Delete
  4. It's nice to see you checking in. I have been largely absent myself. As a life-long procrastinator, I like that phrase "any second now." I may have uttered it to my own mother, to mean just because you don't actually see me moving doesn't mean I'm completely ignoring you. Anyway, eventually everything gets done. They keep heckling about the really important things, like food and money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less absent than I have, I see Barbara, and with a painting oeuvre to show for it too. We will all look to you for inspiration.

      Delete
  5. Presently is another useful catch all. As a child I soon realised that it didn't mean, right now in the present, but sometime in the distant future and preferably never, when my mother said it in that distracted voice that I learnt to use when I had children badgering me for something.
    Momentarily is even vaguer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, is, in a minute, longer than any second now?
    And so help me, what do complete strangers mean when they say, see you later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "In the fullness of time" is the phrase I like to use myself, Lucille, so as not to unfairly create expectation. And I've had that 'see you later' said to me too; you'd need a lie-down after it.

      Delete
  7. Hello Mise,
    Lovely to see your smiling face here today even if only for a few shakes of a lamb's tail. It sounds like Pink Girl and or Blue Girl are acting like typical teenagers in postponing their homework.
    Hope you are having a great summer
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen! On a bright warm day like today, I think of you down at the beach, painting away.

      Delete
  8. We have a special word for it in Devon. Dreckley. What it doesn't mean is that I'll do it directly. No. It's like manana but far less urgent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a perfect word to convey a sense of being obliging but with minimal intention, Jessica.

      Delete
  9. 'In due course,' can be rather useful. Tell them nothing, take them nowhere. It's always a pleasure to see you, dear Mise, and I shall await your next post in due course ~ and after a few seconds at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As we southern Welsh say 'now - in a minute' I never was able to work that out. It is good to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Toffeeapple. I'm surprised that people still read here after so long.

      Delete
  11. Another option is to say "presently". Confusion over whether this means "now" or "soon", and debate over what it should mean, will buy you invaluable time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very useful suggestion, Stan, thank you, to be implemented anon, if not by and by.

      Delete

You're looking particularly well.

Following Options:

      Follow on Bloglovin       follow us in feedly
Related Posts with Thumbnails