Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas About The House Part 1

It's a quiet day at work and I was going to show you Christmas About My House. Novel and original at this time of year, I know. But then I got distracted by the tumble-dryer.



While loading it with my fine cambrics I felt once again that quiet moment of inner pride I always experience when I turn the dial past 'iron dry'. Iron dry, I tell myself: if only the bloggers could see that, they'd assume I'm the sort of person who irons everything to gloriously crisp creases.

But then there's Easy-Care to the left. How utterly insulting that is in a household appliance. This family wears only 100% wool, 100% cotton, and 100% linen. That makes 300%: good going, no, on a chilly day?

I had to dust that dial before I could photograph it. Go and check your tumble-dryer. Be honest, now, it's a bit dusty, isn't it, right above the dial pointer? Especially when photographed.  You and I, we're not arrivistes with shiny new tumble-dryers. We've had that same vintage one since the turn of the century. It proves our indisputed dignity.

But I was a bit bothered by the dust nonetheless, as I like things to be clean, so I went and had a cherry. Long-time readers will know that in a world gone mad, glacĂ© cherries are my calming drug of choice.  Just the one cherry sorted me out after the dusty tumble-dryer crisis.  A lesser woman would have had three.



See how I didn't bother with one of those dear little expensive cloth lids on the cherries? That's because the hammer-blows of fate wait for no lifestyle tweaks and sometimes you just need quick access to the cherries.

I'll leave you with a sneak preview of Christmas About My House.



This is the kitchen chandelier, ablaze with electricity,



and a candle, a profound and enduring symbol of the possibility that the electricity may be cut off over Christmas here in rural Ireland while the repairmen are jollying it up with port and stilton.   More Christmas About The House tomorrow, or when the notion takes me.

23 comments:

  1. I always feel very posh when I iron my still-damp clothes. And virtuous. Doesn't happen often, needless to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My clothes have a panic attack if they see an iron being taken out of the cupboard, so from sheer, humane consideration, it is left to sleep undisturbed.
    I don't - and never have had - a tumble drier.
    However, before you sink into pity at the thought of me labouring over a washboard and mangle, I do have a washing machine.
    Nor am I a stranger to new-fangled wonders! We have just bought ourselves a joint Christmas present - a Dyson digital slim cordless vacuum - 'Animal', and for the first time in 20 years I have taken up the art of hoovering, and found it to be joyful (if brief). (Heretofore, I should explain, husband has done all the hoovering.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a few months into ownership of that, Lorely, and it is my friend. The big hoover hasn't been switched on since. I find it works better once you remove the revolving brush thing from the cleaning head, if that's the technical term I'm looking for. You are a better person that I am for not having a tumble-dryer.

      Delete
  3. Mise, I admire your willpower re just one cherry. I fear I am less capable of restraint when faced with domestic hardship. I would also delete the 'c' and replace with 's'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so you should, Jessica. So much more grown up and dignified.

      Delete
  4. Oh how I would love a Dyson vacuum. Not have a dryer, oh dear. There is nowhere I could dry my clothes. Off to dust the top of the dryer dial though!
    Love and Hugs,

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eating straight from an undecorated jar is considered freebasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new word for me today, thank you. How sheltered a life we lead in the pretty far west.

      Delete
  6. I could demolish all of it in one sitting. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is cupboard dry? I've not seen such a thing?

    Also you are taunting me with Imagery o washed clothes that can be inserted into a dryer! I cleaned my broken washing machine before the service repairman came...how cheated I felt when he told me it was destined for land fill!xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It took me quite a while to work out what the hell that dial thing was for while. At first I thought it was some sort of barometer to measure the dryness of one's Gin, but then I saw the Cupboard Dry Plus option. My tongue could not compute such a taste. I was left spitting imaginary fluff out at the sheer prospect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm wondering what the difference is between Very Dry and Extra Dry...something to ponder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those degrees of drought are clearly puzzling the commentators, and indeed myself. No doubt the unread instruction manual hold the key.

      Delete
  10. How come you have so many 'Cupboard Dry' options ? ............. and, YES ........ all of my dials are fluffy Mise !!
    .....Oh, and make sure that your Bonne Maman cherry jar makes it's way to my office won't you ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. My vintage tumble drier bit the vintage dust in the utility room sometime during the summer months, and as I have not got around to replacing it I am now even more vintage myself!
    I am enjoying staring at your photo of the dial. It brings back happy memories....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be vintage, dear Ellie, but it's eco-vintage, and most amusing at that.

      Delete
  12. In the U.S. we have nothing as charming as Cupboard Dry.
    We have Bulky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jen, that is so sad. We will send some diplomats to rescue you from there and bring you back here to live near us, where the dryers don't have 'Bulky'. You'll be able to pop over to France on the ferry for Sec Pour l'Armoire.

      Delete
  13. So many settings, my vintage tumble drier has two H1 and H2 and I have yet to work out the difference between the two

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving the chandellier decor! And your simple candle! Xo merry Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had to go and check. There are thirteen settings on my tumble dryer. Guess how many of them I use.
    There was one I'd never noticed before called Smoothing. I think I might be needing that over the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cherries did you say? Hmmmmm......I have some Irish Cherries that have been sitting in the pantry, steeping, for more than three years. Steeping in what you may ask? Why Irish whiskey of course! They are wonderful and one really is delightful, but two are sublime!!! Happy New Year!
    Kind regards, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. ha ha loved this post My tumble drier is circa 1985 and has a sun, half a sun and a buzzer option. Also brown numbers and white numbers giving four possible combinations - six if you count with or without the buzzer. [I think- numbers being not my forte]. Cherries - hmm - have often eaten these in desperandum and felt guilty. No more guilt. I shall think of them as my drug of choice and limit myself to one, following your good example! Many thanks. Liz

    ReplyDelete

You're looking particularly well.

Following Options:

      Follow on Bloglovin       follow us in feedly
Related Posts with Thumbnails