Friday, August 26, 2011

Queen of Fudge speaks

I've received more emails in response to my salted fudge recipe than most other posts: people very sensibly want clarification on how they will know when it is boiled enough, and how they will know when they have beaten it enough.

[make vanilla and chocolate fudge in one batch by adding the vanilla first, beating it and pouring half the mixture out, then quickly adding a few squares of dark chocolate before you pour the rest]

WELL:

  • it will be sufficiently boiled when the bubbles subside such that the level of liquid retreats back to where you started, and, more precisely, when it is at the 'soft ball' stage, i.e. when a spoonful of the hot mixture dropped into a glass of cold water forms a lump of soft caramel. This caramel is very tasty, so you may wish to try more than once to be extra sure.
  • it will be sufficiently beaten when the colour changes quite suddenly - it will become opaque and have a grainier texture. At the very point when you start wondering whether you have beaten it so much that you'll have difficulty pouring it out before it sets, then it's time to stop. Your arm will be tired by then anyhow.



[is this enough fudge?]

And another tip: always use a round plate or dish in which to leave the fudge to set. This will conveniently leave lots of non-square bits round the edge which pride would prevent you from serving to visitors.

21 comments:

  1. Ooh, I kinda got the fudge recipe but I soooo needed that tip about the round plate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't you just send me some !!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the second question as 'how will they know when they have eaten enough'. Is there an answer to that? Perhaps 'when your eyes start spinning' is a rough guide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqueline, I will. Your name will be in the next batch.

    Lucille, I've seen this happen. The eater took on a purple tinge and needed a lie-down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, useful tips indeed :) Though I fear I could never live up to your fudge-making skills (or indeed those of The Rector's Wife) so will just drool over the photographs and memories of the sample you so kindly sent me xx

    PS Sorry for my recent absence from your blog. I'm in California. They do actually have blog access in California, but I haven't had much chance to avail myself of this privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mise:
    This becomes more and more tempting and we are left wondering if this is, after all, something we could tackle and succeed with. It all sounds remarkably straight forward but we doubt, with all your assurances, that it is. Could you not just set up an export business? With Jackie, you already have two customers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could never make fudge because I could never share fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks divine, I'm sure it tastes divine but it sounds like a lot of work. I'll stick with my no cooking fudge...chocolate tater fudge...yes, you read that right. It too, is divine. If anyone else out there likes fudge without the hassle you can find it under recipes nov 7 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no, I feel another delete coming on...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must remember to look out my recipe for 'tablet' for you..... similar to fudge but firmer ...... I think it is very much a Scottish recipe. I'm liking your thinking on cutting off the round bits!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are awaiting a hurricane. We may lose power and ice cream will melt.

    Send fudge ASAP.

    This is an emergency after all....

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. i was wondering something else - how will i know when i've eaten enough?

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's an opening for a sweets cook opening at our place? Please advise your advise your availability. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mum is the Antipodean Queen of Fudge. I believe that makes you my aunt-by-fudge. Except that you're far too young to be my aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooh, love your new title - Queen of Fudge - perfect indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful fudge pictures, and I love your tip for setting it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sweet post, ha ha...I adore fudge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm just about to lick the screen!! This is just sheer torture to those of us with absolutely no aptitude for baking!!!

    ReplyDelete

You're looking particularly well.

Following Options:

      Follow on Bloglovin       follow us in feedly
Related Posts with Thumbnails