Tuesday, September 22, 2009

playing for time until the faux fur arrives

Although I've been too busy procrastinating to post, I've kept reading my favourite blogs and have gleaned that it's Autumn in the blogosphere and time to sprinkle some faux fur throws about the place and embrace purple. I have neither faux fur nor purple and won't be in town until Saturday, but we're marking our own change of season here in our charmingly dated way.




We turn up the range and abandon salads for toast, full of imaginary protein and vitamins and served with Grandma's raspberry jam.


Wellingtons are dusted off and the ladybird ones are fought over. My beloved beskirted coat reappears and I stockpile Benefit lipsticks in case of global shortage.


Books that everyone else has read years ago accumulate by my bed, ready to catch up with on rainy weekends. I adroitly change the subject when this year's Man Booker shortlist is mentioned. The assistant throws some purple food dye into the sea so that we may conform.

Moving on to bathroom matters, we're going for an old-fashioned bath with legs, thanks to all your kind input. The question now is what colour to paint the outside of the bath, so some dithering on this will follow soon.

15 comments:

  1. What a fab stove! You mentioned "salad". I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that, but I am familiar with white toast and jam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. I spent a few years living in London when I was younger and it reminded me of my own days of Wellies and jam. Quite a change from the desert of Arizona! Great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ways are straight out charming to me, Mise - forget about the 'dated'. The stove is gorgeous, and now I want gumboots. Lots of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Janis, I see that you and I are on the same strict regime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous colour Aga....I love your text...and all so true in my household.....love the bit about books (that's me to a T). Good to see that you are enjoring Aurumn, Mise. I actually love all os the seasons as I think that they all have their good points. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colour of that stove... so cheerful. What colour are you thinking of painting your bath? I'm so nosy!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mise, I think your blog makes me laugh more than any other. I'd definitely give you an award, if I had one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. a range, toast ,grannys jam and wellies ,,,i want to be in galway for the autumn...you can call me beatrice..for an idea for your bath edge look at this....ignore the shape ....http://sweethomestyle.tumblr.com/post/194751545

    ReplyDelete
  9. Conversation Pieces, I don't know, I'll have to assemble my inspiration pictures and see. I'm never one to be decisive.

    Thanks, Flora May! I try to be grave but the text sometimes bolts.

    Elaine, thanks for the link, that's an amazing bath exterior! I wonder how it's done. I must broaden my aspiration; I fancy a bath like this with delusions of grandeur.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always trying to convince Ethan that toast counts as a meal, but he just doesn't get it. Also, your stove is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, you know my opinion on painting the bathtub so I won't belabor it. Love your stove but you know that, too! Have you seen these Waterford Etsy-ites?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5104063&page=2

    ReplyDelete
  12. Courtney: I'd say your best bet is to put some fancy cheese on the toast and look proud and weary as you present it.

    Casapinka: that's some wedding gear! I have my eye on the gala skirt for school drop-offs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is that really your range? I love the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are My Fave: yes, it's my yellow range, and eyebrows are raised whenever strangers enter our kitchen. I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete

You're looking particularly well.

Following Options:

      Follow on Bloglovin       follow us in feedly
Related Posts with Thumbnails