Monday, July 6, 2009

relentless white: fireplace before and after

Here's the living room fireplace two days after we moved in.


"What lovely Doolin slate!", visitors politely said. "How dark and depressing!", I thought, feeling a bit sorry for Doolin.

So when the boxes were unpacked I applied my notorious predilection for white paint (which probably stems from a teenage fascination with Tippex) and painted it.


I quite like it now, but it's only a stopgap. When I can bear the negotiation and the din of dealing with builders again, that fire surround will come off.
We suspect there's a much larger original old cottage fireplace behind it, so, God Willing, that'll be exposed and replastered in white, and we'll put in an ivory enamel stove and merrily burn up the turf and the tax demands.

12 comments:

  1. We had one of those too - ours was York stone I think!! I agree, bloody depressing. Ripped it out eventually and put in an antique oak one we found in Kilkenny Salvage yard (blogged about it a few months back). Was considering a wood burning stove but fell in love with the oak surround :-)

    PS the paint certainly looks loads better, really brightens it up. With your penchant for paint, I wonder if you stand still in your house, would you be painted???????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much improved. I may become an acolyte white painter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so much better! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have the same prediliction for white paint - blog post to follow soon! I love the wall lights on the chimney breast Mise, where did you find those? I have my eye on a couple of wall lights on ebay but unsurprisingly they are white and I fear that it might be taking the white obsession a step too far. These are lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula, I bought those lights online - I'll unearth the link for you soon. Looking forward to seeing your own white paint adventures.

    So true, Lorna, it's said around here that I mustn't be left at home alone in case I paint the turf stack white.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a link to the wall lights for Paula (the lights you like are the tulip ones): Jim Lawrence online
    http://www.jim-lawrence.co.uk/items.cfm?m_parent=14

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a transformation! The whole room is so lovely and bright. But your plans sound even better. An old fireplace? And that stove! I can't wait to see what you unearth. And thanks for the Tippex link - had no idea what that was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow wow wow---what a stunning transformation! Amazing what a little white paint can do---I positively lOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a transformation! It looks so great... I love, love those sconce lights you put up too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the link Mise, what a great selection of beautiful wall lights!

    ReplyDelete
  11. well i think its a lovely stop gap and has inspired me to paint my 1960's marble fireplace lol x

    ReplyDelete

You're looking particularly well.

Following Options:

      Follow on Bloglovin       follow us in feedly
Related Posts with Thumbnails